John McEown is a partner at Boale, Wood & Company Ltd., a Licensed Insolvency Trustee and a Chartered Accountant. He is also a member of the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals. Prior to joining Boale, Wood & Company Ltd. in 2009, John spent several years with another insolvency boutique firm.
John practices primarily in the area of corporate insolvency proceedings. He has extensive corporate knowledge and has been involved in several large real estate and development restructurings as well as a variety of other corporate matters. He has worked for secured lenders performing viability assessments and acting as Receiver and Manager. John has also acted as Monitor under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act and as Trustee of proposals pursuant to the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act. John has also acted as Trustee in a number of large insolvency matters where the debtors were involved in fraudulent investment schemes.
A few of John’s recent engagements are as follows:
- Acting in the capacity of Trustee of the bankruptcies of Rashida Samji and Rashida Samji Notary Corporation that were involved in a $100 million Ponzi scheme.
- Acting in the capacity of Court appointed Monitor in the restructuring of Worldspan Marine Inc. under the Company Creditor’s Arrangement Act.
- Acting in the capacity of Court appointed Receiver and Manager of Maplecreek Living Corporation to complete an $8 million residential strata development in Maple Ridge, BC
- Acting in the capacity of Trustee in the bankruptcy of Wakefield Construction Ltd. a prominent residential construction contractor in Vancouver, BC
- Acting in the capacity of Trustee in the bankruptcy of 0464625 B.C. Ltd. operating as Churchill Armoured Car Service across Canada.
- Acting in the Capacity of Court appointed Judicial Trustee of Strategic Concepts Investment Trust, representing the interests of approximately 100 individual investors.
- Acting in the Capacity of Court appointed Judicial Trustee and Receiver of Elite FX Limited Partnership, an investment partnership that invested in foreign exchange contracts.
John has also been involved in numerous presentations on insolvency matters. Recently John was on a panel discussing Ponzi Schemes at the fall conference of the Turnaround Management Associations at Whistler, BC and recently gave a presentation to the Employment Standards Board of BC.
John and can be reached at (604) 605-3335 or at email@example.com