Can CRA pursue me if I live in the United States?

I live in the United States and I owe Revenue Canada for outstanding taxes.  Can they garnishee my pay cheque here in the United States?

Yes they can.  The United States and Canada are parties to a Convention between Canada and the United States of America With Respect to Taxes on Income and on Capital.  In that convention is a section relating to collection of taxes under Article XXVI A of the Convention.  Both parties have agreed to assist each other in the collection of outstanding taxes to each.

Ask a Trustee

If you have something you’d like to Ask a Trustee, use this form to submit your question.

And follow @askatrustee on Twitter